The updates on Kevin Kolb and Trent Cole are in. Kevin has an MCL sprain and will miss Thursday's game with the Pats. Cole has a shoulder joint sprain and will also miss the game. The players are day-to-day beyond that.
Having Kolb get hurt is the smaller problem in the long run, but it caused a problem for Thursday night. The plan was for McNabb to play a couple of series and then for Kolb and AJ Feeley to finish the game. Kevin's injury meant the Eagles needed to add a QB for the game. They decided to "sign" Matt Nagy. He'd been part of the team as a coaching intern. He has some knowledge of the offense. Nagy also has experience from his time in the Arena League.
All we need Nagy to do is play about a quarter and a half. Eat up some snaps. Run the offense in a functional way. Take the snap and hand the ball off. If we can pass the ball effectively that will be a big bonus. I do feel sorry for the 3rd team receivers because of this. Those guys aren't likely to get much of a chance to shine.
SOME RANDOM NUGGETS
* I thought Dan Klecko had a lock on the #4 DT spot. Not so I'm told by a source. Willie Williams and Josh Gaines each are making a run at that spot. Klecko needs to pick up the pace.
* DE Bryan Smith needs to really come alive in the preseason games.
* Stacy Andrews mentioned that he will start getting some reps at RT. That's good. If Shawn's back is a problem, we need Stacy to be able to move outside. We have a slew of solid OGs.
* Jason Peters got some work in practice. Hopefully he'll play some on Thursday and we can see where he's at. We sure need him back on the field.
* The Eagles are taking a look around the league to see what is available at TE. No hints on any specific targets at this point.
* Two guys to keep an eye on in the game are LoBo and Eldra Buckley. We're two deep at RB, but behind them is a major mystery. Those guys will be judged on running, blocking, and catching. Big night for them.
* ESPN writer Matt Moseley visited Lehigh and posted some thoughts.